Columbus Park Dental on Manhattan’s Upper West Side offers cosmetic dentistry in NYC, along with beautiful restorative work like tooth-colored fillings, bridges, all-on-4 dentures, and more. Not all restorations are equal, but Dr. Singh’s are long-lasting and cosmetic. For fillings in NYC and other restorative dental work, reach out to us at Columbus Park Dental today!
What is Restorative Dentistry?
Restorative dentistry is dental work that concerns itself with fixing or replacing missing or damaged teeth. It’s distinct from cosmetic dentistry in NYC, which is more focused on the appearance of teeth. Restorative dental work is meant to restore function to your bite, jaw, or speech. Restorative dentistry includes the following procedures:
- Root canals
- Inlays and onlays
- Dental bonding
- All-on-4, dentures, partial dentures
- Dental implants
You may notice some overlap between restorative and cosmetic treatments. Indeed, many restorative treatments are, or can be, cosmetic too. Of course, since Columbus Park Dental offers cosmetic dentistry in NYC, our restorative dentistry is in fact very good-looking!
We choose to offer our patients composite fillings, which are made of a dental composite resin. This high-quality, durable filling material can be matched exactly to the color of your natural tooth so no one can see the filling, including you! We love composite fillings for the following reasons:
- Because the resin can bond directly to your tooth, we’re able to leave a little more tooth structure than with amalgam (silver) fillings.
- Composite fillings contain no metal or mercury.
- They can last a decade or more.
- Tooth-colored fillings are aesthetically pleasing because they’re virtually invisible.
Something between a composite filling and a veneer, bonding can repair a chipped, cracked, or worn tooth. For bonding, we use the same composite material as for tooth-colored fillings. To repair a tooth with direct bonding, the dentist applies the putty-like resin in phases. After each stage of application, we use a special LED light to cure it.
Bonding doesn’t hurt, you’ll be able to eat almost right away after the procedure, and you can expect the restoration to last anywhere from 3 to 10 years. That’s such a wide range because the longevity of your restoration depends heavily on its location in your mouth and how much chewing pressure it receives.
We do also offer veneers in NYC, along with other cosmetic treatments if your goals go beyond what bonding can accomplish. Please reach out to us at Columbus Park Dental with any questions!
A dental bridge is one way of filling in where a tooth or teeth are missing. Often replacing two, three, or four missing teeth in a row, bridges may be supported by crowns or implants.
There are two primary components in a dental bridge:
- Abutment teeth: the crowns that anchor the bridge
- Pontics: the prosthetic teeth between abutments
There are a few primary functional characteristics of bridges which determine how they’re placed and what the procedure looks like for the patient:
- Fixed bridge: in this most-common type of bridge, the pontic or pontics are between two abutment teeth, which are usually crowns placed onto the two adjacent teeth.
- Cantilever bridge: this type of bridge has only one abutment. Cantilever bridges are most commonly used when the area where the teeth are missing isn’t flanked by two teeth capable of supporting crowns.
- Implant-supported bridge: rather than placing a crown or crowns on nearby teeth to support the bridge, implants are placed where one or two of the missing teeth are. Implant bridges can be either fixed or cantilever.
We offer any of these bridge types at Columbus Park Dental, and we can help you decide which one is the best choice for you! Reach out to us today to schedule a consultation.
Traditional Dentures and All-on-4
Patients have a variety of options for full- and partial-arch teeth replacement. Dentures or partial dentures have the power to restore function to your bite, beauty to your smile, and even better articulation to your speech. Columbus Park Dental offers the following options to patients at our Upper West Side office:
These are the ones you know. A grandparent or other elder may have had these removable dentures. They were at one time the only option for patients who needed full-arch restoration, but as technology improves, we’re able to offer alternatives. Nonetheless, this tried-and-true restoration may still be the best choice for some patients for one or more of the following reasons:
- They remain the most affordable option.
- Traditional dentures don’t require any surgery.
Furthermore, traditional dentures are much more lifelike and attractive than they were a generation or two ago. We can give you a beautiful new smile with traditional dentures!
All-on-4 Implant-Supported Dentures
Also sometimes called permanent dentures, implant-supported dentures are not removable. You’ll brush and floss them similarly to natural teeth, and they act a lot more like natural teeth than traditional dentures. This advancement in dental technology has given so many patients a higher quality of life because:
- Permanent dentures don’t need to be soaked overnight, cleaned in special solutions, or taken out for any reason.
- They’re stable. They don’t slip or click, and patients find they can eat and talk normally.
- While they cost significantly more than traditional dentures, implant-supported dentures don’t have to be remade every few years. You also don’t have to buy any cleaning supplies for them other than toothpaste and dental floss.
- Finally, implant-supported dentures help to prevent bone loss in a way that traditional dentures cannot do. Bone loss eventually causes a “sunken” facial structure, so permanent dentures are the more cosmetic option in the long run.
What is All-on-4?
All-on-4 is an implant supported denture, and the ‘4’ refers to the number of implants per arch (top and bottom). There is also all-on-6 and all-on-x, the latter referring to any number of implants other than four or six. Titanium implants are surgically placed in the jawbone, and once the natural bone fuses to the implants, we can place your gorgeous permanent teeth replacement.
Partial dentures are removable like traditional dentures. But, compared to full dentures, they’re a lot less bulky and more stable because they’re anchored to your existing natural teeth. Compared to a bridge, partial dentures are more versatile because they can be made to replace any combination of teeth on a single arch.
Fillings in NYC, plus Crowns and More
For gorgeous restorative treatments that will give you your best bite and smile, reach out to us at Columbus Park Dental today.